A native of France, Sylvie Goutas specializes in French language, culture and literature. Her scholarship includes works on 19th-century French literature, the use of media and culture in foreign language teaching, and several translations of academic works. After studying French and Spanish as a foreign language pedagogy and teaching general and business French respectively in France and Spain from 1991 to 1998, she obtained her Ph.D. in French and Francophone Literature at the University of Chicago in 2012. She has been teaching French as a full-time lecturer in the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures since 2016 and is currently working on articles that focus on foreign language immersion and cross-cultural pragmatics. In addition to foreign language pedagogy and French and francophone studies, her research and teaching interests are visual and performing arts.
Recent Courses in RLL
- FREN 10100 Beginning Elementary French I (Autumn 2017)
- FREN 10200 Beginning Elementary French II (Autumn 2018, Winter 2019)
- FREN 10300 Beginning Elementary French III (Spring 2018, Spring 2020)
- FREN 20100 Language, History, and Culture I (Winter 2020)
- FREN 20200 Language, History, and Culture II (Autumn 2016, Winter 2017, Spring 2017, Autumn 2017, Winter 2018, Spring 2018, Winter 2019, Spring 2019, Autumn 2019, Spring 2020)
- FREN 20602 Expression orale: Décrire l'art moderne et contemporain en français (Autumn 2018, Winter 2020, Autumn 2020)