I was born in La Gonâve, an island of Haiti. I earned a doctoral degree in Second language Acquisition at Carnegie Mellon University and a masters’ degree in French with a specialization in Teaching French as a Foreign Language at the University of Arizona.
I love speaking and teaching different languages. I have taught French at various institutions in the United States including the University of Arizona, Carnegie Mellon University, and the University of Pittsburgh. Moreover, I have been a curriculum developer and instructor of Haitian Creole and have taught cultural studies courses pertaining to Creole arts and cultures.
I enjoy exploring different issues that may affect language acquisition. My research focuses on language variation and language attitudes and factors influencing multilingualism and literacy development in Creolophone communities.
- Ulysse, G. M., & Al Masaeed, K. (2021). The influence of socio-economic status and socio-economic status-related factors on language attitudes: The case of Haitian Gonâviens. Journal of Pidgin and Creole Languages, 36(2), 228-264.
- Ulysse, G. M., & Burns, K. E. (2021). French and Kreyòl in multilingual Haiti: insights on the relationship between language attitudes, language policy, and literacy from Haitian Gonâviens. Critical Inquiry in Language Studies, 1-30.
Recent Courses in RLL
- FREN 10100 Beginning Elementary French I (Autumn 2021)
- FREN 10200 Beginning Elementary French II (Winter 2022)
- FREN 10300 Beginning Elementary French III (Spring 2023)
- FREN 29301/KREY 29300 Language Identity and Power in French-Creolophone Contexts (Spring 2023)
- KREY 12200 Kreyol for Speakers of French I (Autumn 2021, Autumn 2022)
- KREY 12201 Kreyòl for Speakers of Romance Languages I (Autumn 2023)
- KREY 12300 Kreyol for Speakers of French II (Winter 2022, Winter 2023)
- KREY 21100 Lang, Sosyete ak Kilti Ayisyèn I (Autumn 2022, Autumn 2023)
- KREY 21200 Lang, Sosyete ak Kilti Ayisyèn II (Winter 2023)
- KREY 21600 Francophone Caribbean Culture and Society: Art, Music, and Cinema (Autumn 2023)