Begoña Arechabaleta Regulez was born and raised in Bilbao, a city located in the Basque Country region of Spain. She holds a BA in Modern Languages from Universidad de Deusto as well as MA and PhD degrees in Spanish Linguistics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Her PhD dissertation focused on understanding language variation in monolingual and bilingual communities from a psycholinguistic perspective. She has also conducted extensive research on language acquisition, especially by bilingual children and heritage speakers of Spanish living in the United States.
At the University of Illinois, Begoña had the opportunity to teach not only a wide variety of subjects but also a diverse range of students of all ages and abilities. One of her main priorities when teaching is to create an engaging learning environment in which students are enthusiastic about the process of learning a new language. For example, as a graduate student, she worked to implement virtual reality technologies into language classrooms by designing activities that immerse students in linguistic and cultural contexts of their target language. Begoña believes that new technologies, like virtual reality, can play a significant role in language classrooms of the future. She is committed to continue developing and utilizing innovative teaching strategies suitable for all learners.
Recent Courses in RLL
- SPAN 10100 Beginning Elementary Spanish I (Autumn 2023)
- SPAN 10200 Beginning Elementary Spanish II (Winter 2023)
- SPAN 10300 Beginning Elementary Spanish III (Spring 2021, Autumn 2022)
- SPAN 20100 Language, History, and Culture I (Autumn 2019, Spring 2020, Autumn 2020, Autumn 2021)
- SPAN 20102 Language, History, and Culture for Heritage Speakers I (Spring 2023)
- SPAN 20200 Language, History, and Culture II (Winter 2020, Autumn 2020, Winter 2022)
- SPAN 20300 Language, History, and Culture III (Autumn 2019, Winter 2021, Autumn 2021)
- SPAN 21100 Las regiones del español (Spring 2021, Spring 2023, Autumn 2023)
- SPAN/LACS 21150 El español en los Estados Unidos (Winter 2022, Winter 2023)