My work at UChicago as a Visiting Research Associate and a Brazilian Leitora combines teaching and promoting the Portuguese language and Brazilian culture with research in the fields of material design, and task-based language teaching. As a language teacher and classroom researcher, I value the connection between theory and practice, in which language learning takes place meaningfully. Thus, organizing and hosting extracurricular language- and culture-related activities are always present throughout my practice.
I have been a Portuguese and English teacher in Brazil since 2014 and have experience with research on the teaching and learning of both languages. I hold an M.A. from the English Linguistic and Literary Studies Department of the Federal University of Santa Catarina (Brazil), in which I conducted classroom research on the teaching of Portuguese as a Host Language to forcibly displaced immigrants (“TBLT and Portuguese as a Host language: analyzing learners' oral performance in terms of Outcome Achievement and investigating the task implementation process through the learners' and the teacher's perspectives”). Most recently I have been a Portuguese/English teacher for Brazilians at a Federal Institution for Vocational-Technical Education in Santa Catarina (Instituto Federal Catarinense - IFC) and Coordinated the IFC Language Center at the Fraiburgo campus. Since 2021, I have been the Outreach and social media coordinator for the TBLT Language Learning Task Bank, an online database that provides access to peer-reviewed tasks ready to be downloaded and applied in language lessons, a project financed by the International Association of Task-Based Language Teaching.
During my undergraduate and graduate years at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, I have been a member of the Portuguese Research and Education Center (NUPLE), at which I taught beginners to advanced classes and, from 2017 to 2019, participated as a licensed evaluator of the Certificate of Proficiency in Brazilian Portuguese (CELPE-BRAS). From 2016 to 2021, I also volunteered as a pedagogical coordinator, teacher, and material designer for the Portuguese as a Host Language Project for immigrants and refugees (PLAM) at the Federal University of Santa Catarina. I am a member of the AQUILES research group, which studies theoretical, pedagogical, and methodological issues of language acquisition.
- Marcelino, A. F. B. (2022). Currículo baseado em tarefas: uma proposta a partir de pesquisa-ação em ensino de Português como Línguas de Acolhimento (PLAc). Revista Veredas, 25(2), 321-342. https://doi.org/10.34019/1982-2243.2021.v25.35807
- Silveira, R. & Marcelino, A. F. B. Letras para além da universidade: o projeto de extensão Português como Língua de Acolhimento para imigrantes em situação de vulnerabilidade. Universidade Estadual do Mato Grosso do Sul. Accepted for publication.
- D’ely, R. C. S. F., & Marcelino, A. F. B. (2021). Interviewing Professor Laura Gurzynski-Weiss from Indiana University about the TBLT Language Learning Task Bank. Ilha do Desterro, 74(3), 505-521. https://doi.org/10.5007/2175-8026.2021.e79935
- Terres, M. L., Torres, M. C., & Marcelino, A. F. B. (2021). The impact of collaborative planning of an oral task on learners’ language performance in an EFL context. Domínios de Lingu@gem, 15, 678-706. https://doi.org/10.14393/DL47-v15n3a2021-3
- Marcelino, A. F. B., & D’ely, R. C. S. F. (2020). Analyzing the oral performance of Portuguese as a Host Language speakers through the Outcome Achievement measure. Revista Da ABRALIN, 19(3), 825-851. https://doi.org/10.25189/rabralin.v19i3.1751