Verónica Moraga Guerra, a native of Hermosillo Sonora, Mexico, earned her bachelor's degree from the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, and a master's degree in Social Service Administration from the University of Chicago. Verónica designed and implemented the "Latinx and Spanish Language for Social Workers" course at the Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice. This Language for Specific Purposes (LSP) course aims to equip future social workers with the necessary language skills to engage effectively with diverse Spanish-speaking communities.
In addition, Verónica is the creator and coordinator of El Cafecito, a Spanish Club that connects UChicago students with the Latine community. Her current research and practice focus on developing language curricula for specific purposes, theme-based learning, and interculturality.
2021 “Backward Design for LSP: Domain Analysis as a Consistent Research Framework for a Necessarily Decentralized Field”, Global Business Languages Journal, vol. 21, pp. 71-91. Co-author.
Recent Courses in RLL
- SPAN 10100 Beginning Elementary Spanish I (Autumn 2020)
- SPAN 10200 Beginning Elementary Spanish II (Autumn 2017, Winter 2021, Winter 2022, Autumn 2022)
- SPAN 10300 Beginning Elementary Spanish III (Autumn 2016, Winter 2017, Spring 2017, Winter 2018)
- SPAN 10402 Heritage Spanish: Developing Foundational Skills (Autumn 2023)
- SPAN 12002 Intensive Spanish II (Winter 2021)
- SPAN 12003 Intensive Spanish III (Spring 2023)
- SPAN 20100 Language, History, and Culture I (Autumn 2016, Spring 2018, Autumn 2018, Autumn 2019)
- SPAN 20102 Language, History, and Culture for Heritage Speakers I (Spring 2021)
- SPAN 20200 Language, History, and Culture II (Spring 2018, Winter 2019, Spring 2019, Winter 2020, Autumn 2021)
- SPAN 20300 Language, History, and Culture III (Winter 2017, Winter 2020, Spring 2020, Spring 2021, Winter 2022, Winter 2023)
- SPAN 20302 Language, History, and Culture for Heritage Speakers II/III (Spring 2019, Spring 2020, Autumn 2021, Autumn 2022)
- SPAN 20400 Composición y conversación avanzada I (Autumn 2017, Winter 2018)
- SPAN 20402 Curso de redacción para hablantes nativos (Autumn 2023)