Paula Motrico San Emeterio was born and raised in the Basque Country. She graduated from her BA in Modern Languages and Management at University of Deusto in Bilbao; and she obtained her MA in Spanish Linguistics from the University of Illinois at Chicago. During her MA at UIC, Paula had the opportunity to teach Spanish in both the Basic Spanish Language Program and also in the Heritage Spanish Language Program at different levels.
Her main interests focus on the linguistic acquisition and processing of bilingual children. As part of her interest in bilingualism, she has worked as an assistant researcher at the BabyLab of the Basque Center on Cognition, Brain and Language (BCBL) in Donosti-San Sebastian, helping researchers with the preparation and implementation of various research studies with kids of different ages.
She is currently a Basque lecturer at the University of Chicago as part of the Etxepare Institutua network of Basque lecturers at international universities all around the world. And she is also a Spanish lecturer at the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures.
Recent Courses in RLL
- BASQ 12000 Elementary Basque I (Autumn 2019, Autumn 2020)
- BASQ 12100 Elementary Basque II (Winter 2020, Winter 2021)
- BASQ 12200 Elementary Basque III (Spring 2020, Spring 2021)
- BASQ/SPAN 22100 Feminism(s) in the Basque Country: Gender, Language, and National Identities
- BASQ 24700/SPAN 24701 Introduction to Basque Culture (Winter 2021)
- SPAN 10300 Beginning Elementary Spanish III (Autumn 2019, Autumn 2020)
- SPAN 20100 Language, History, and Culture I (Winter 2020, Spring 2020)