PhD coursework in Comparative Literature, The University of Chicago
MA, Comparative Literature, San Francisco State University
BA, Portuguese and German Languages and Literatures, Universidade Federal do Ceará, Brazil
Born in Brazil and teaching Portuguese at UChicago since 1987, I have developed and implemented a variety of classes in the College. My teaching ranges from Portuguese language courses at all levels to intermediate and advanced courses on culture and literature; from language for the professions to language pedagogy courses for future teachers in the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures. I also work with students who take Independent Studies and Reading and Research classes.
In 2013 I initiated a partnership with Northwestern University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign -- The Illinois Portuguese Language Connection. This yearly event brings together Portuguese students from these three institutions for a day of interaction and cultural activities in Portuguese. This collaboration received the 2017 Educational Initiative Award from the American Association of Teachers of Portuguese.
I am interested in language pedagogy and assessment, as well as Portuguese and Brazilian language and literatures.
Awards, Honors, and Professional Experience
- Travel grant to record native speakers in Brazil and update teaching resources, Center for Latin American Studies, July 2002
- Travel grant to Brazil for curriculum development, Center for Latin American Studies, July 2000
- Travel grant to Brazil for curriculum development, Center for Latin American Studies, August 1998
- Grant to develop a Video/HiperTalk/HyperCard project, Consortium for Language Teaching and Learning, 1995
- Award, Plummer Scholarship Fund, 1992
- Grant to develop the "Portuguese Irregular Verbs in HyperCard" project, Consortium for Language Teaching and Learning, 1991
- Has held full-time positions at the University of Chicago and Universidade de Fortaleza, Brazil
Selected Courses Taught
- Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced Portuguese
- Portuguese for Spanish Speakers
- Accelerated Portuguese
- Estilística da Língua Portuguesa
- Reading and Research