All applicants must provide:
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Transcripts for all previous degrees and coursework
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Writing sample (15–20 pages); writing samples may be submitted in English or in the Romance Language of your choice, however if you submit an English writing sample, please also include a second, shorter sample of your writing in your intended language of specialization.
- Statement of purpose (written in English)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required for applicants who are non-native speakers of English.
- We do not require an undergraduate degree in a Romance language.
- Our department does not offer a terminal M.A. degree. If you are interested in an M.A. program and would like to take classes in our department, please visit the Master of Arts Program in the Humanities.
- The Department does not offer a part-time study option, online classes, or evening classes.
- Further details regarding admissions requirements are available from the office of the Humanities Dean of Students. Information about the English language proficiency requirement is available here.
The application for Fall 2019 admission is now available. The deadline is December 15. Visit http://humanities.uchicago.edu/students/admissions for more information.